Posted by Riley | Posted in Case Studies, Money Mondays, PPV | Posted on March 8th, 2010
Just so everybody knows, PPV isn’t the easiest thing in the world to master. I recently read a thread on WickedFire that made me realize something. If you bid on anything on TrafficVance your minimum bid is $10 CPM. This is because the minimum bid is $0.01 x 1000 = $10.
I also tested out a number of campaigns and failed miserably and lost hundreds of dollars. So if you’re worried about losign a few hundred testing, this is not something you should try.
What I’m giving away here was my first profitable campaign on PPV. I’m going to let everybody know just how I did it.
First thing I did was sign up on TrafficVance. When you first sign up you will need at least $1,000 to get started. So if you’re not able to blow some money, don’t try out PPV.
Next, you will want to go and download Laser URL. If you don’t know how to use this program go here for Laser URL Tutorial Videos. You will want to search a very closely related term to your offer using Laser URL. I always let it search 10 pages deep on all three search engines. This gives me a number of URL’s to prune and use for testing purposes. Once you get these URLs, export them to a spreadsheet and then I suggest researching each URL to see if they even relate to your offer. If they relate, it’ll be one of your targets.
I ran the Mobile IQ Quiz – QuizYou over at EWA. I used Laser URL to search for the term iq quiz. I of course pruned my targets and threw the list into TrafficVance.
My first time through I made sure I was the highest bidder on all the URL’s I targetted because I wanted some good test data. I let it run for a couple days and came back to optimize it. Make sure you’re tracking where your traffic comes from using the %%$KEYWORD%% variable that TrafficVance uses. This way you can see which targets are converting and what the EPC for that target is so you can adjust your bids according.
After some time I was able to drop all the low traffic and non-converting targets down to about 10 targets. The only bad thing about this was that I had to monitor these things day and night because I would get into daily bidding wars on URL’s, especially my best converting URL. This got tiresome, I finally just got fed up with it and was okay with being in the 3rd spot. I noticed more and more competition coming in on my targets and I was eventually being out bid on all my target URL’s. The headache to keep up with these bids eventually became so much that I quit running the offer because of the increased competition and higher bids led to a dismal ROI that was no longer worthy of my time.
I came back a couple months later and noticed all the bids were much lower than they once were so I turned the campaign on and let it run for a couple days. For whatever reason the offer was no longer converting on these URL’s so I paused the offer and haven’t ran it since.
My gross revenue for this offer was $7,144.00 and my total spend for this campaign was $4,867.27. That equates to a $2,277 profit and a 46.7% ROI.